As digital transformation kicks into high gear, it has only exacerbated the cyber risk that organizations face and demonstrates the need for security performance management. Download our guide to learn more.
Mitigating Cloud Security Risk With BitSight
Today’s cloud services offer tremendous value. From Amazon Web Services and Microsoft 365 to Salesforce and Slack, cloud services likely comprise many of the applications and solutions your organization relies on. Yet, as is clear from the headlines, cloud service providers aren’t immune to attack. When they succumb to a breach, it can be disastrous for your digital assets residing in the cloud.
Managing cloud security risk requires efficient strategies and powerful technologies that can deliver greater visibility into the risk profile of assets stored in cloud environments. That’s why, when choosing solutions to better manage cloud security risk, more organizations today turn to BitSight.
Best Practices For Managing Cloud Security Risk
Cloud computing has rapidly expanded to include a wide range of functions and business applications. From automatic backup and recovery solutions to communications applications, productivity suites, data analytics and CRM technology, cloud services likely provide some of your organization’s most valued solutions. They also involve some of your most sensitive information. Indeed, trusting cloud providers with sensitive data has almost become a requirement for remaining competitive.
There are several best practices to follow when managing the cloud security risk inherent in working with these service providers.
- Get a holistic view of your network. The best way to manage cloud security risk is to get a clear picture of where the risk lies within your cloud footprint. The challenge is finding the right technology. Many risk management technologies and manual scanning techniques don’t deliver visibility into cloud services, making it hard to get a complete picture of your digital ecosystem.
- Rely on external, objective verification of your analysis. Many cybersecurity solutions deliver only an internal view of your security posture. Cloud security monitoring solutions that provide an external view of your attack surface can validate the information you already have, without any internal bias.
- Upgrade your reporting capabilities. Superior reporting technology should allow you to summarize program changes, improvements, and cybersecurity data quickly and easily. Your reports should also provide a customized and easily understood security framework with context and benchmarks that facilitate conversations with company decision-makers.
BitSight Attack Surface Analytics
As the world’s leading Security Ratings Service, BitSight offers a highly effective solution for managing cloud security risk. BitSight Attack Surface Analytics make it easy to get better visibility of the risk hidden across your digital ecosystem, including in the cloud and across various geographies, subsidiaries, and your remote workforce.
In addition to managing cloud security risk, BitSight Attack Surface Analytics enables you to:
- Gain greater visibility into assets throughout your entire digital ecosystem. BitSight’s attack surface monitoring solution provides a centralized dashboard that shows the location of all your digital assets and the corresponding cyber risk associated with each.
- Uncover shadow IT. Discover instances and technology solutions that employees have procured and introduced to your organization’s network without the knowledge of IT. By assessing these shadow IT resources for risk, you can bring them into alignment with corporate security policies.
- Identify areas of greatest risk. With an ecosystem-wide perspective on your digital assets, you can determine which assets represent the greatest or most-concerning risk, making it easier to prioritize remediation resources and establish stronger cybersecurity controls.
- Discover risk on remote networks. As more of your employees work from home offices that may be unmonitored and insecure, BitSight’s cyber risk analytics help to gain visibility into the cyber risk associated with this expanded attack surface.
How BitSight Mitigates Cloud Security Risk
The centralized cybersecurity dashboard within BitSight Attack Surface Analytics offers an at-a-glance view of your digital assets in the cloud, broken down by cloud provider, geography, and business unit. You can also assess the corresponding risk associated with each endpoint, enabling you to make fast and strategic decisions about remediation. With a map-based view, your security teams can quickly identify the precise location of a vulnerable asset and determine, for example, whether an AWS instance in China or Germany is misconfigured, enabling faster risk remediation by reducing the time it takes to locate exact risk. BitSight also lets you prioritize remediation efforts by ranking importance of assets by cloud provider.
BitSight Attack Surface Analytics is especially helpful if you have multi-cloud environments. BitSight lets you compare the security posture of multiple instances with a single provider or the security of instances across multiple providers, making it easier to know where to prioritize remediation and training efforts. Security teams can also find cloud instances that don’t adhere to security policies and take action to bring them into alignment.
Why Manage Cloud Security Risk With BitSight?
BitSight is the world’s leading Security Rating Service, enabling organizations to improve security performance management and third-party risk management. By continuously monitoring large pools of objective and independently verifiable data, BitSight generates security ratings that provide a dynamic measurement of the security performance of an organization and its vendors that is correlated with likelihood of experiencing a data breach. With BitSight, organizations can make faster, more strategic decisions about managing cloud security risk as well as cybersecurity policy and third-party risk.
As the most widely adopted Security Ratings solution in the world, BitSight is the choice of 20% of the world’s countries, 25% of Fortune 500 companies, 7 of the top 10 largest cyber insurers, and 4 of the top 5 investment banks.
FAQs: What Is Cloud Security Risk?
Get Your Attack Surface Report
Get a complete view of your organization’s attack surface — both on-premise and in the cloud and discover where your organization's cyber risk is.
By submitting this form, you agree to the Security Ratings Access Terms.